Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Community

I know I've been blessed. I'm reminded of this every day that I don't get horrifically sick. Because of celiac, I can no longer eat mindlessly. Some days, when I'm working late or craving a donut, this seems like a curse. But really, how can I argue with feeling better than I have in years?

Besides being blessed with a diagnosis (finally!), I have been enormously lucky in my friends and family. My now husband proposed three days before I was told I have celiac; not only did he not ask for the ring back, he spent a day with me going through our kitchen and getting rid of every item that contained the contaminant. Our house is gluten-free--he gets his fix of bread during lunches at work.

I have close friends who love to cook. For years, I've been a very willing taste-testor. They cooked me my very first gluten-free meal. From a combination of love and curiosity, they have researched and learned about celiac. I still eat at their house frequently--delicious, gourmet meals. It is as safe to me as my own kitchen. In addition, I happen to be close friends with several other celiacs (a total coincidence!). It is so easy to eat out with them--there is no weirdness, no awkwardness at having to quiz the staff and we're less likely to get poisoned.

In the Capitol Hill area of Washington D.C., there is a small Thai restaurant--The Old Siam--that has become part of my community. I live close enough that it is my go-to spot for easy take-out or a night out with friends. Thai food is often naturally gluten-free. Many of the noodles are made of rice flour and the curries do not need flour thickening. That said, there are sneaky ingredients--watch out for soy sauce and, sometimes, fish sauce. The friendly people at the Old Siam have gone over their menu with me a number of times (it's always a good idea to check, in case they've changed the recipe). The spring rolls, all of the soups (except the tofu), shrimp-pineapple curry, pineapple fried rice, kee mow tofu noodle, and pad woon sen have all been safely prepared for me--just make sure to ask for no soy sauce. All of these dishes are delicious, but the shrimp pineapple curry is my favorite. Besides the food, the restaurant has the staff to recommend it; they are attentive and always willing to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment