Saturday, October 27, 2007

A gluten free menu

While it is fantastic that celiac is getting so much recognition lately, a clear downside is that restaurants are attempting to meet the demand for gluten-free cooking without taking certain necessary steps (education? training? safety precautions?). Gluten-free menus are popping up everywhere. I've been happily surprised at several restaurants when a hostess to whom I'm attempting to explain the disease whips out a menu and says "Oh, you're gluten free?" Unfortunately, hours after eating, I realize that the menu does not guarantee a safe meal. Don't get me wrong, it's a great start. But given that these places are also the ones most frequently sought out by a celiac visiting a new city, I wanted to post a really brief overview of experiences with the common chain restaurants in the area that advertise gluten-free menus.


  • P.F. Changs: (Tysons Corner) I love this place. I've been several times and have never gotten sick. In fact, this is the only chain restaurant with a gluten free menu about which I can make that claim. The staff is knowledgeable and the food is great; people have eaten with me and noted that they couldn't tell the difference between the gf food and the "normal" menu items. The lettuce wraps are awesome and, while some food critics are lately criticizing restaurants for offering the typical chocolate cake, I think many celiacs dream to be able to eat such a rich, chocolaty dessert.
  • Austin Grill: (Chinatown) Sometimes I get desperate for cheap, greasy Tex-Mex. Because they have a gf menu, I've gone several times to this Austin Grill. I'm clearly a slow learner (most people, I think, would go once or twice after having a bad experience...not me, I've been probably 5 or 6 since being diagnosed). The chips and salsa are fine. The guacamole is fine. The problems really only start when you order off the menu. Twice, I've had waitstaff that had no idea what I was talking about, even when I showed them the gf menu. On another occasion, I ordered off the gf menu, but got sick later. Once, I ordered a side off the gf menu and was given a "normal" substitute. The lesson--which I've now figured out--is don't eat here (unless you're looking for chips and margaritas).
  • Legal Seafood: (K Street and Chinatown) I'm from New England and am a little snobby about seafood. Legal's is ok--they have decent food. They are, however, extraordinary on the gluten-free issue. Their staff is very well trained and they have procedures in place to ensure that food reaches the table uncontaminated. Every time I've eaten at one of these restaurants, the manager has come to the table to reassure me that everyone in the food chain knows what goes into safe, gf eating. It is comforting to know that you can go out for dinner and truly not worry. Plus, the spicy calamari is addictive.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment