Thursday, October 11, 2007

Learning to eat again

While it is true that some people eat to live, I definitely live to eat. Or at least I did, until eating almost killed me. Despite having a very close friend that has been living with celiac for years, it took a long time for it to occur to me that it might be food that was making me sick. It took her continual nudging for me to finally ask for the test. The positive result was both a relief and extremely traumatic.

I love food. Before celiac interfered, I ate out almost every night. And I bought my lunch frequently, too. I was a little out of control. After being diagnosed, I couldn't imagine how I was going to get by; the disease would require a complete overhaul of my lifestyle. Initially, I was very strict and careful. Then, as I felt better, I would take stupid risks and, inevitably, get sick again. I'd go through phases. As I got frustrated with the restrictions, I'd decide the diet wasn't worth it and go eat as I usually did. Then, suffering, I'd resolve to be much more careful in the future. I went through a phase where I decided that restaurants would just have to deal with this; I'd explain--in really rudimentary terms--what I couldn't eat and expect the lovely Italian chef to whip me up something safe. In short, I was absurd.

Luckily, celiac is a lot more commonly diagnosed than it used to be. Because of the sudden increase in demand for gluten free food, many restaurants and groceries are increasing their offerings. Even better, the FDA has recognized the import of labeling and it is becoming much simpler for a person with celiac to eat healthfully. Of course, there is a downside. As "gluten-free" becomes a catch phrase, chefs sometimes take liberties with the labeling, resulting in a very sick celiac. Others may believe that they are offering truly gluten-free food, but because of poor staff training, the dish reaches the table contaminated.

This blog is meant as an easy reference for people with celiac trying to eat safely in Washington, D.C. I don't believe that having this illness should mean an end to eating out. Friends who have celiac have also been invited to post, to give it a depth of perspective. Because everyone with celiac has a different tolerance for gluten, I can only speak to my experience and make no claim that someone else may not have a completely different experience. I hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment