Tuesday, April 20, 2010

From My Dad--With Love

Celiac runs in families.  My mom, for example, got it from me.  At least, I was diagnosed and insisted everyone else get tested--hers came up positive.  My dad, who discovered an abiding love of cooking in recent years, stepped up to his two-fold challenge; learn to cook gluten-free and do it in a tiny, northern Maine town with limited resources.

I love when he comes to visit in DC for many reasons, but certainly one of them is that he enjoys cooking, knows how to cook gluten-free and he's like a kid let loose in a candy store in our bountiful DC grocery stores.  Every time he comes down, our standard of eating rises.  On one of his recent trips, it was a cold, rainy day calling for soup.  He made us the most incredible soup.  After much prodding, I got him to write it down.  He's been asking me to send it to him and, frankly, I think other celiacs could benefit from it, too.  I make it whenever I'm sick (which has been frequent lately).

Thai Style Chicken Soup (from my dad's recipe)


1 package extra firm tofu--drained, pressed & cubed
2 cloves of garlic - minced (I usually use three or four. And I don't believe my father has ever made anything with less than 5 cloves of garlic)
1 in. ginger - minced
1 chicken breast - cubed
3-4 cups chicken broth
red pepper cut into strips
1/4 -1/2 fresh red chili peppers
1 cup julienned carrots
1-2 cups fresh baby spinach - chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2-4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
cilantro for garnish

Heat the oil in a wok, fry tofu until crispy (this requires a lot of patience--leave it longer than you might want). Remove the tofu and drain it on some paper towel.  Add cubed chicken to remaining oil and cook, stirring frequently until no longer pink.  Add the garlic and ginger.  Stir for a couple minutes.  Add carrots and red pepper, stir frying for 2-3 minutes.  Add the spinach, stir frying until wilted.  Add the chicken broth.  Bring it to a boil and add tofu.  Add the chili pepper and simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste, adding spring onions and cilantro as wanted.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy except the tofu,( soy intolerance)in my case. Chicken broth really
    does seem like it helps when you're sick.
    And I am with your dad, the more garlic the
    better!

    ReplyDelete