Thursday, April 22, 2010

Beyond Gluten-Free

Having celiac is nothing if not completely life-altering.  Your history has an immediate schism: pre-GF and GF.  Memories are altered with the overlay of new information (oh, my ability to eat anything and actually lose weight is not a good thing?)  Moreover, every new experience is colored with the shade of celiac.  Immediately, grocery shopping is medicinal.  There are explanations for inexplicable ailments.  You aren't the crazy, hysterical hypochondriac.

I have found that, contrary to popular current opinion, managing the disease involves a holistic approach.  Yes, you must eat gluten-free.  You also, though, may have to change your make-up. You may need to treat the inevitable symptoms that come from having lived with untreated celiac for a long period of time.  You also need to be aware that not everything in your life relates back to the disease.  It is possible that you really just have a stomach ache.  Or that the extreme exhaustion you are feeling is from your toddler being up all night instead of inadvertent glutening.

In that regard, it is useful to have an arsenal of resources to supplement your physician in treating the total life experience of having celiac. Eastern medicine--specifically, acupuncture and massage therapy--can be particularly helpful in relieving stress, counteracting headaches and just basic life management.  There are infinite levels of ability, costs and venue available in DC.  Unlike some things in life, however, cost does not necessarily correlate to ability.  You can get a terrible massage at a fancy spa.  You can pay a ton for acupuncture that is perfunctory and impersonal.  Alternatively, you could check out my favorites.

For massage: Eye Street Massage.  They aren't fancy.  In fact, as you hike up the four flights of stairs in the dingy building, I can almost guarantee you'll be skeptical.  But I've found that they are universally very good.  I particularly like Dee and Pam.

For acupuncture: Pekoe Acupuncture. Whenever I get glutened, I get a migraine.  It's a clear, direct correlative event.  It sucks.  Nicole Mires has helped me through some of my worst.  To be honest, I don't go with any regularity (which I understand is how you get the most benefit).  Nonetheless, I have found it to be really effective in managing pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment