Friday, September 25, 2009

Gluten-free iPhone apps...as if you needed a reason

Ever since I saw a friend playing with the highly addictive "flick the paper into the trashbin" application on her new iPhone, I've been coveting them.  My husband made some noises about giving me one for my birthday (subtle reminder) so I had put-off buying one.  I may not be able to wait. 

I just discovered that someone has been reading my mind and making iPhone apps from my thoughts!  Or maybe I'm not the only celiac who has stood in a grocery aisle, mentally debating whether I want to take the risk of buying an item without going through the whole, check the label, call the company, search the web rigamorale...but no more!  Zeer, Inc. has released the glutenScan app, which has a database of over 30,000 specific products and their safety for those on a gluten-free diet.  I think I need an iPhone just for this app. 

Since discovering this delight, I've found a number of other apps I want to try.  There's the iEatOut Gluten and Allergen Free, which tells you what you can eat at restaurants--clearly an excuse for me to eat out more often.  There's the iCanEat On the Go, which tells you what you can eat at common chains that would be found along a highway--I'm a little skeptical of the utility of this one.  There's the glutenFreed, which searches for gluten-free restaurants for you based on your area. 

Now someone needs to create an app that tells you whether there is gluten in certain medications and an app to figure out the difference between the cost of gluten-free groceries versus "normal" for flexspending purposes.  Anyone up for the challenge? 

4 comments:

  1. You already pay $60/year for the online service and now they want a monthly subscription that totals close to $20 per year for this. There is potential here but I do not want to be searching a product to find my subscription expired and be obligated to renew to get the info. Not sure I like where this company is going with all these fees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the $60/year online service fee?!? Tell me about this before I buy the iPhone, please! Is it just for certain apps? While a year does come out to around $20, I did see that they are doing it on a monthly basis, so you only pay for what you need...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, There! I'd love to get your thoughts on a new startup we've just launched in the Gluten-free world ... http://www.gling.com. Feel free to contact me (mike@gling.com) with questions ... I'd love to chat.

    It's basically a site for the Gluten-free world with original articles, recipes, locations and foods and we also have a great social networking backbone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The $60 is for their web based service and even if you subscribe to that you have to buy this for iPhone.

    There are other programs that work great and are much cheaper like Is That Gluten Free and I Eat Out Gluten and Allergen Free.

    ReplyDelete