Saturday, November 3, 2012

ZPizza

My sister is pregnant.  Also, my mom has celiac.  These two facts are relevant because my mom and I have a bet on when my sister will give birth.  I bet that she would have the baby yesterday.  Clearly, as she is still pregnant, I lose.  The terms? I owe my mother a pizza.  But not just ANY pizza.  Oh no.  The pizza worth betting on has to come from zpizza.


The tuscan at zpizza.
Zpizza started in Laguna Beach, CA and was dedicated to a healthy blah blah blah.  The need to know is: it's a chain that uses organic, whole foods and fresh ingredients.  It also offers gluten-free crust.  As disclaimed on the recently revamped website, the pizza is not made in a gluten-free environment.  That said, neither my mom nor I has ever gotten sick.  I've watched them make the pizza and they do take care not to contaminate the gluten-free ingredients.

The pizza at zpizza is not your ordinary Papa Johns or Dominos.  Nor does it just satisfy the need for something starchy, like the totally-fine-but-not-delicious Amy's pizza from the frozen section.  It is really fantastic pizza.  The gluten-free crust is so good that my non-celiac friends order it instead of the glutenous varietal.  And the toppings are outrageous.  Tonight, I had a mango-chutney, avocado, chicken, cilantro and mozzarella.  My son eats black olive.  Also available are a mexican, tuscan, provence, casablanca and italian.  Fair warning: the tuscan and casablanca use a roasted garlic sauce that is both delicious and extremely pungent.

One other warning: Zpizza is fairly expensive.  You can easily spend $20 on a large pizza.  But really, it is that good.  And, with locations in and around DC, it is likely that you can find one close enough for delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment